HAMMONTON, N.J. (AP) _ Authorities say a chemical leak at a medical company in southern New Jersey has left several workers feeling ill.
The refrigerant leak happened Wednesday at Home Solutions Infusion Therapy in Hammonton. The cause of the leak remains under investigation, though officials say it may have been caused by a malfunction in the building’s ventilation system.
Authorities say roughly 30 workers were assessed at the scene. Eight people were taken to hospitals for further evaluation, while two others were airlifted by medical chopper.
Worker Kim Valentine told The Press of Atlantic City that she smelled a chemical odor in the building before her throat became sore. Her eyes were red and swollen, and she said they stung.
Other employees said they were nauseated and had headaches.