SURFSIDE, Fla. (AP) – Rescuers searched through fresh rubble Monday after the last of the collapsed Florida condo building was demolished, which allowed crews into previously inaccessible places, including bedrooms where people were believed to be sleeping at the time of the disaster, ofﬁcials said.
Three more victims were discovered in the new pile, Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told family members, raising the death toll to 27 people. Another 118 people remain unaccounted for.
The demolition late Sunday was crucial to the search-and-rescue effort, ofﬁcials said, and raised the prospect that crews could increase both the pace of their work and the number of searchers at the site, although the chance of ﬁnding survivors 12 days after the June 24 collapse has diminished.
Teams had been unable to access areas closest to the remaining structure because of its instability, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.
“Truly we could not continue without bringing this building down,” she said at a news conference.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said the newly accessible area includes master bedrooms where people were believed to be sleeping when the building collapsed.
“We will be able to access every part of that pile, which they hadn’t been able to do up to this point,” DeSantis said. “I think it’s going to move the pace. I think the momentum is very strong.” Crews could be seen climbing a mound of debris at the site Monday alongside a piece of heavy equipment that was picking up rubble.
Workers immediately began clearing some of the new debris after the demolition so rescuers could start making their way into parts of the underground garage that is of particular interest. Ofﬁcials said the search effort resumed around midnight. It had been called off Saturday to allow specialists to drill holes for explosives needed for the demolition.
“As a result of the contractor who brought it down, he did it in such a way that literally we actually were back on the original pile in less than 20 minutes,” Jadallah told family members of those missing, drawing applause in a rare up-beat moment for the twice-daily meetings.
Rescuers hoped to get a clearer picture of voids that may exist in the rubble as they search for those believed to be trapped under the fallen wing of the Champlain Towers South.
No one has been rescued alive since the ﬁrst hours after the collapse.
During the demolition, a loud rat-a-tat of explosions echoed from the structure. Then the building began to fall, one floor after another, cascading into an explosion of dust. Plumes billowed into the air as crowds watched the scene from afar.
Levine Cava told the Associated Press that the demolition went “exactly as planned.”
“It was picture-perfect. Exactly what we were told would happen,” she said in an interview.
Some residents had pleaded to return to their homes one last time before the demolition to retrieve belongings, but they were denied. Others wondered about the pets left behind. Ofﬁcials said they found no signs of animals after making three ﬁnal sweeps, including the use of drones to peer into the abandoned structure.
Levine Cava said teams are working to save personal items and have asked residents to catalog what they’re missing to match with items as soon as they are recovered.
“The world is mourning for those who lost their loved ones and for those who are waiting for news from the collapse,” she said at the news conference. “To lose your home and all your belongings in this manner is a great loss as well.” The decision to demolish the remnants of the building came after concerns mounted that the damaged structure was at risk of falling, endangering the crews below. Parts of the remaining building shifted on Thursday, prompting a 15-hour suspension in the work.
Approaching Tropical Storm Elsa added urgency to the demolition plans. President Joe Biden declared a state of emergency in Florida because of the storm, making federal aid possible.
The latest forecasts showed the storm moving westward, mostly sparing South Florida, but the area could still experience heavy rains and winds. Jadallah said that weather was not expected to affect the search efforts.
“Now that we don’t have an issue with the building, the only time that we’re stopping is lightning,” he said.