Broward County, Fla. – Recently, Broward County commissioners authorized the Housing Finance and Community Redevelopment Division to enter into Development Agreements with 10 Broward County non-profit housing agencies – awarding four lots to each to construct a total of forty new, affordable single-family homes in the Broward Municipal Services District.
The participating non-profit agencies are:
1. Broward Alliance for Neighborhood Development (BAND)
2. Dania Economic Development Corporation
3. Habitat for Humanity of Broward
4. Housing, Opportunities, Mortgage Assistance and Effective Neighborhood Solutions, Inc. (HOMES)
5. Housing Foundation of America
6. Liberia Economic and Social Development
7. Minority Builders Coalition, Inc.
8. Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida, Inc.
9. Sunrise City Community Housing Development Organization, Inc.
10. Urban League of Broward County, Inc.
The non-profit agencies are required to build homes with a minimum of 1,500- square-feet, three bedrooms, two-baths and a two-car garage.
Agencies shall obtain permits within six months and complete construction 12 months after permitting. The homes will be available for purchase through a lottery system to very-low to moderate-income households who qualify for first mortgage financing with an approved lender and who will use the homes as their primary residence.
The County may also provide purchase assistance for qualified buyers. All new buyers are required to attend homeowner education class and meet current Housing Finance and Community Redevelopment Division underwriting criteria for the home purchase and loans.
Applications are available at the Housing Finance and Community Redevelopment Division or online at Broward.org/Housing/Pages/Default.aspx.
The application period will be open until 12 p.m. on May 26 and completed applications should be delivered in person to the following address: Housing Finance and Community Redevelopment Division, 110 NE Third Street, Suite 300, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301.
Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding holidays. For more information, call 954-357-4900.