BROWARD – For high school students considering college, the road to that destination for them and their families can seem confusing. In order to help them make sense of the process, The Urban League of Broward County (ULBC) is offering College Ready Day to prepare the students for a successful higher education experience.
Presented by Broward College and scheduled for Jan. 30 from 9 am to 2:30 pm at the ULBC, 560 NW 27th Ave. in Ft. Lauderdale, the event features a series of workshops for students and parents, with topics that include college affordability, college selection, career exploration and barriers such as immigration and access to funding and information.
Broward County Public Schools, College Summit, Handy, JM Family Enterprises, Mentoring Tomorrow’s Leaders, Urban League of Broward County’s Young professionals Network are partnering with Broward College to offer a marketplace of colleges and post-secondary institutions to provide information on available programs and the application process. Refreshments will be provided.
Workshop topics that will be covered include:
- Getting Ready – Early Preparation Steps
- FAFSA, Scholarships & Grants Explore
- Degree Programs/Majors
- Writing Your Personal Statement
- ACT/ SAT Preparation Parent/ Guardian Roadmap
- Help motivate your kids to pursue a college career.
- Obtain step-by-step instructions on the financial aid process.
- Receive helpful hints for college admission and the application process and important deadlines. College Alternatives
- Learn about alternatives to college including trade/vocational school, certification programs and military enlistment.
For information, call 954-584-0777 or visit ulbroward.org/collegeready.