MIAMI-DADE – Did you make a resolution to quit smoking this year? Now is the time to turn the resolution to quit tobacco into reality.
The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County and the Tobacco Free Workgroup are encouraging tobacco users to create a personalized quit plan with help from the state’s free and easy resources.
Use one of Tobacco Free Florida’s 3 Ways to Quit, which include the Florida Quitline, Web Coach and in-person classes through the Florida Area Health Education Center network. Since 2007, more than 93,400 Floridians have successfully quit using one of these free services.
Tobacco Free Florida’s resources include consultation from a certified and trained Quit Coach, as well as free FDA-approved Nicotine Replacement Therapy like the patch and gum, when medically appropriate.
Those who have tried to quit but relapsed are encouraged to try again. Having a comprehensive quit plan increases the chance of success.
“It is important to have a quit plan,” said Lillian Rivera, administrator of the Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade. “Set a date, establish a support system, and use the county and state’s free resources to reach your quit success.”
Miami-Dade County free quit options:
• CALL: Call the University of Miami Area Health Education Center at 305-243-2847 to participate in either:
• A one-time, intensive two-hour seminar in which participants receive information on how to select and prepare for their own quit date.
• Six-Week IQuit Program, one-hour a week group program that helps educate and assist participants through their quit process (combination of group counseling and nicotine replacement therapy).
Tobacco Free Florida offers three ways to quit:
• CALL: Call the Florida Quitline at 1-877-U-CAN-NOW to speak with a Quit Coach who will help assess a user’s addiction and help create a personalized quit plan.
• CLICK: Enroll in the Web Coach, which will help to create a web-based quit plan unique to each individual user, visit https://www.quitnow.net/florida
• COME IN: Sign up for Quit Smoking Now group classes at your local Area Health Education Center) by calling 305-243-2847 or by emailing email@example.com