The Miami-based Jackson Health System honored several black nurses recently with the Nurse of the Year award at a public celebration held at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Allapattah.
The recognition came as part of the observance of National Nurse Week.
The honorees were a licensed practical nurse, an advanced practice nurse, a registered nurse and a rookie nurse from each of Jackson Health System's patient care centers, specialty areas, satellite centers and hospitals.
Their colleagues selected them as the nurses who had contributed the most to quality care throughout the Miami-Dade County public supported healthcare network.
A total of 30 nurses received the award from Carlos A. Migoya, the new president and CEO of the Jackson Health System, and Leah S. Kinnard, senior vice president for Patient Care Services and chief nursing officer.
Qualifications for the Nurse of the Year award include: nurses must have been employed for at least three years of continued service; for the “rookie” category, it can be one year or less. The nurses must demonstrate excellence in their job performance, proven by a consistent, above- average evaluation.
The featured honorees are:
• Ambulatory Care Center: Marie Theodat, L.P.N., of Kendall
• Cardiovascular Services: Marie Gelin, R.N., of Plantation
• Community-Based Primary Care Centers: Maureen Allen-Barnes, L.P.N., of Lauderhill, and Deborah C. Rushing R.N., B.S.N., of North Miami
• Education and Development: Bensita Joseph, R.N., B.S.N., of Miami
• Holtz Children’s Hospital: Nicole Thompson- Bowie, A.R.N.P., N.N.P., P.N.P., of West Palm Beach; Angela L. Jones, L.P.N., of Miami; and Dawn Allen, R.N., of Miramar
• Jackson Memorial Long Term Care Center: Marcell Nicholas, L.P.N.,
of Miami Gardens, and Bernadette Jeanniton, R.N., of Miramar
• Jackson North Medical Center: Barbara Seay, L.P.N., of Fort Lauderdale, and Marie Jean Louis, R.N., of North Miami
• Medical-Surgical Hospital Center: Jean Jecrois, L.P.N., of Miami,; and Olive Lewis, R.N., Coconut Creek
• Jackson Mental Health Hospital: Marie Joseph, R.N., B.S.N., of Pembroke Pines
• Ortho-Rehab-Neuroscience Hospital Center: Myrna Lee-Keow, A.R.N.P., M.S.N., FNP-BC; Marietta Gervais, L.P.N., of Miami
• Women’s Hospital Center: Nancy E. Griffis, A.R.N.P, Denise Lamothe, L.P.N., of Miami.
Allen, Louis and Joseph also received the Clinical Excellence award, presented annually to nurses who best exemplify selfless dedication, compassion and nursing pride system-wide throughout the years.