FORT LAUDERDALE — On March 3, 1845, Florida became the 27th state to join the United States of America. Much has happened in Florida since then, and to commemorate and mark the state’s rich history, March 15 through April 15 has been designated “Florida Heritage Month” by the Florida Department of State.
During Florida Heritage Month, the Broward County Libraries (BCL) will host exhibits, programs and more to honor Florida’s rich history and raise awareness of its cultural heritage.
Additionally, Broward County Library will publish a Bibliography of Select Local History Holdings, which includes books and other resources on the history of Broward County and many of its cities and towns. The free booklet will be available at Broward County Library locations in mid-March.
Florida Heritage Month events at Broward County libraries:
April 4 – Film: Flagler’s Train – The Florida Keys Over-Sea Railroad, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Flagler’s Florida Keys Railroad, 2 p.m., West Regional Library, 8601 W. Broward Blvd., Plantation (954-382-5860)
April 14 – Their Story is Our Story, musical/historical production about the founding of Carver Ranches, 2 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale (954-357-6282). Tickets $15 in advance, $20 at door. Seniors/students $10 in advance, $15 at door. Call 954-357-6210 for tickets and information.
April 16 – Civil War Monuments and Sites in Florida, book talk and PowerPoint presentation with travel writer Roberta Sandler, 1 – 2 p.m., Main Library, 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale (954-357-7444)
April 24 – 2011 Everglades artist-in-residence Brian Trainor discusses his photography and experiences in the Everglades, 1 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek (954-201-2600)
May 12 – The Florida East Coast Railway: For More Than 110 Years, America’s Speedway to Sunshine, a talk by historian Seth Bramson, 3:30 p.m., Hallandale Beach Library, 300 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale (954-457-1750)
Ongoing Florida Heritage Month Exhibits at Broward County Libraries include:
• Fabluous Forties on the Avenue Exhibit: See a replica of Fort Lauderdale’s historic Northwest Fifth Avenue, through October at the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, (954-357-6282)
• Florida Mystery Writers Book Display, Galt Ocean Mile Reading Center, 3403 Galt Ocean Mile, Fort Lauderdale (954-537-2877)
• Book Display in Honor of Florida Heritage Month (April 1-15), Imperial Point Library, 5985 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale (954-492-1881)
• Broward Historical Society Sailboat Bend Photographic Exhibit (April 1-May 31), North Lauderdale Saraniero Library, 6901 Kimberly Blvd., North Lauderdale (954-968-3840)
• Book Display Florida’s Past (April 1-30), North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek (954-201-2600)
• Everglades Photography by Everglades Artist-in-Residence 2011 Brian Trainor (April-May), North Regional/Broward College Library, 1100 Coconut Creek Blvd., Coconut Creek (954-201-2600)