LOS ANGELES — A re-release of an old movie topped several new offerings at the box office, with The Lion King 3-D making $30.2 million in its debut.
Monday's final figure surpassed the Sunday studio estimate of $29.3 million.
The Disney animated musical favorite, now rendered in 3-D, features the voices of Matthew Broderick, Nathan Lane, James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons. It was the rare family film in a sea of challenging and R-rated fare this past weekend.
Last week's top movie, the Warner Bros. thriller Contagion, dropped into second place with $14.5 million. It's now grossed $44.3 million over two weeks.
The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theaters Friday through Sunday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theater locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by Hollywood.com are:
1. The Lion King 3-D, Disney, $30,151,614, 2330 locations, $12,941 average, $30,151,614, one week.
2. Contagion, Warner Bros., $14,548,433, 3222 locations, $4,515 average, $44,260,524, two weeks.
3. Drive, FilmDistrict, $11,340,461, 2886 locations, $3,929 average, $11,340,461, one week.
4. The Help, Disney, $6,513,039, 3014 locations, $2,161 average, $147,439,793, six weeks.
5. Straw Dogs, Sony Screen Gems, $5,123,760, 2408 locations, $2,128 average, $5,123,760, one week.
6. I Don't Know How She Does It, Weinstein Co., $4,402,201, 2476 locations, $1,778 average, $4,402,201, one week.
7. The Debt, Focus, $2,942,631, 1831 locations, $1,607 average, $26,564,431, three weeks.
8. Warrior, Lionsgate, $2,860,325, 1883 locations, $1,519 average, $10,002,625, two weeks.
9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Fox, $2,658,131, 2340 locations, $1,136 average, $171,651,537, seven weeks.
10. Colombiana, Sony Tristar, $2,330,291, 1933 locations, $1,206 average, $33,377,523, four weeks.
Photo: The Lion King 3-D