Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez is helping launch a new health insurance incentive program that makes insurance more affordable for a limited number of low- to moderate-income residents, according to a statement from Alvarez’s office.
The event will take place at a free health fair slated for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 11, when the mayor will join representatives of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida for the launching.
At 11:30 a.m., Alvarez, Blue Cross Blue Shield South Florida President Penny Shaffer and community health leaders will announce the Miami-Dade Health Insurance Utilization Program (MD-HIUP).
MD-HIUP is a pilot initiative developed by the county’s Office of Countywide Healthcare Planning to encourage low- to moderate-income Miami-Dade residents to get health insurance.
The initiative receives its funds from Florida’s Low Income Pool Program which has allocated $500,000. Its partners include the Health Foundation of South Florida, Baptist Health South Florida, Jackson Health System and six Miami-Dade health centers.
The amount of incentive each participant will receive will depend on the individual’s household income and premium.
The event will take place at Florida Blue Center, 8895 SW 136th St., across from The Falls Shopping Center, in South Dade.
The program will make affordable health insurance even more affordable for residents by offering premium assistance to those who qualify for Miami-Dade Blue.
The announcement said Miami-Dade residents who earn between $16,245 and $27,075 and are seeking affordable health insurance should inquire about the Miami-Dade Blue and MD-HIUP by calling 3-1-1 or logging on to www.miamidade.gov/ochp.
The Health Fair will also offer residents free health screenings, spinal screenings, massages, health counseling, giveaways and prizes, kids’ games, and English and Spanish nutrition seminars.
It will kick off a week of MD-HIUP sign-up events at the following community health centers:
• Borinquen Health Care Center, 3601 Federal Hwy, 305-576-6611
• CHI South Florida: Doris Ison Health Center, 10300 SW 216th St., 305-253-5100
• CHI South Florida: Martin Luther King Jr. Clinica Campesina, 810 W Mowry Drive, 305-248-4334
• Citrus Health Network: Citrus MED, 4125 W. 20th Ave., 305-825-0300
• Helen B. Bentley Family Health Center, 3090 South Douglas Road, 305-447-4950
• Jessie Trice Community Health Center: Hialeah Medical Center @ Flamingo Plaza, 901 E. 10th Avenue, Suite 39, 305-637-6400
• Jessie Trice Community Health Center: 5361 NW 22nd Ave., 305-637-6400
• Miami Beach Community Health Center: Beverly Press Health Center, 1221 71st St., 305-538-8835
• Miami Beach Community Health Center: Stanley Myers Center, 710 Alton Road, 305-538-8835