brandon_marshall.jpgSOUTHWEST RANCHES — The lead prosecutor in the Brandon Marshall domestic violence incident has closed the case, describing the Miami Dolphins wide receiver as uncooperative during the investigation. Broward Sheriff’s deputies suspected Marshall had been stabbed in the stomach by his wife Michi Nogami-Marshall during an altercation at their home on April 22 in which both of them suffered injuries.

Marshall told deputies he and his wife had engaged in an argument that became “physical.” He later told a prosecutor his wife did not stab him, that he fell on broken glass multiple times.

Still, deputies arrested Nogami-Marshall on suspicion of stabbing her husband and took her to jail, but prosecutors never charged her.

During a call made from her jail cell, she told a friend, “He attacked me,” according to the close-out memo.

Some of those details were provided in reports which deputies wrote after they responded to a domestic violence call at the couple’s Southwest Ranches home in southwest Broward County.

Assistant State Attorney Sarahnell Murphy wrote in her closeout memo that when Marshall was asked to provide a voluntary

statement, his attorney told her  “that was never going to happen.”

A subpoena was issued but prosecutors had problems locating Marshall. On June 20, deputies arrested Nogami-Marshall again when she returned to the couple’s home, in violation of a restraining order. Marshall went to the Broward Sheriff’s Office and was surprised by a process server.

“Shortly after being served with the subpoena, Brandon Marshall tore the subpoena into pieces and threw it on the ground,” Murphy wrote.

The incident unfolded when Broward Sheriff’s deputies responded to a 911 call from Nogami-Marshall on April 22.

“Please come, it’s an emergency,” Nogami-Marshall told the 911 operator. When the dispatcher asked for her location, she repeated, “Please come, it’s an emergency,” and then the phone was hung up.

Deputies arriving at the home got no response and began mobilizing outside the front gate. Marshall made a call to Kevin Swanson, an off-duty BSO sergeant, who ordered the deputies not to approach the home until he arrived. BSO Sgt. Eric Caldwell arrived on the scene and was told about Swanson’s order. After waiting and learning Swanson was coming from home, Caldwell directed the deputies to enter the yard.

Peering through windows, deputies saw a bloody scene in the house. Caldwell ordered a retreat and called tactical units for back up. As they were arriving, Swanson showed up in plainclothes. He was on the phone with Marshall, who directed deputies to the rear of the house and let them inside.

Rooms were ransacked. Marshall and his wife had multiple injuries. Deputies found a phone ripped from the wall. Marshall later told prosecutors the family dog did it.

Swanson inquired about weapons and Marshall showed him a handgun that was inside a drawer in his bedroom.

Deputies also found a bloody knife and a bloody gun clip in the home.

Marshall had cuts to his wrists and a stab wound to his stomach. His wife had bruises on her cheek and cuts on her hand and foot. She also complained of injuries to her legs and neck.

Marshall was treated by paramedics inside his home and refused to go to the hospital. Swanson considered forcing him to get medical attention under the Baker Act but did not do so. A friend finally took Marshall to the hospital, under escort by Swanson.

Swanson was not asked to give a statement in the case or to explain his relationship with Marshall.

“[Marshall] said after his home was burglarized he and other athletes in the community hired BSO deputies to patrol the area,” Murphy said. “He said Swanson has never done work for him personally.”

During an interview with the South Florida Times, Murphy, who heads the Domestic Violence Unit of the Broward State Attorney’s Office, said she was aware of most of the supplemental police incident reports, detailed in an exclusive South Florida Times story on Aug. 10, but not all of them.

“We were aware of most of the reports from the other individuals that were on scene but there were a few that I had not seen,” Murphy said. “But those were not relevant to the case, like the one from the deputy who secured the loose dogs in the yard.”

“We also interviewed Brandon Marshall and he insisted that his wife did not stab him and that he fell and cut himself. He was the victim and, without a cooperating witness, we were unable to move forward with the case,” Murphy said.

Murphy wrote in her closeout memo: “After my review, I had concerns about whether or not the events in this case transpired in the which they were reported.”

Marshall could not be reached for comment. Harvey Greene, senior vice president of media relations for the Miami-Dolphins, has said the wide receiver will not respond to questions.

Photo: Brandon Marshall