MIAMI — On Aug. 17 the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department and District 9 Commissioner Dennis C. Moss broke ground for new amenities at William Randolph Community Park, 11950 S.W. 228th St. in Miami. The 10-acre lakefront park is named for William Randolph, African-American pioneer homesteader of south Miami-Dade County who founded the subdivision of Goulds.
In 1900, Randolph filed a U.S. Homestead Application for a 160-acre tract of land in southern Miami-Dade County, now known as Goulds. He received the property deed 12 years later, during William Howard Taft’s presidency.
In July of 1920 Randolph and his wife Ana platted the Goulds subdivision. He went on to help other African Americans in his community to become landowners by selling off most of his land very inexpensively or simply giving it away, free of charge.
Randolph also donated a 5-acre tract for a school for area youth, which is now home to Pine Villa Elementary School and Mays Middle School.
The new park amenities will include a paved walking path, various connecting walkways, a parking area, benches, picnic tables, a bicycle rack, shade trees and landscape plants.
In addition the park will receive new access control fencing, roadway and drainage improvements and a fitness court is also planned.
The Miami-Dade County Parks Design and Build Team is working with COMTECH Engineering, Inc. to complete the park improvements, whose total cost for the amenities is expected to be $597,000 with funding from the Quality Neighborhoods Improvement Program and impact fees.
For other information call 305-257-0310.