(StatePoint) – When sweater weather arrives, there’s nothing quite as comforting as a pot of something savory and delicious simmering on the stove.
As you turn to hearty soups this winter, having the right seasonal staples means you’ll be well on your way to having piping hot meals on the table, quickly and hassle-free.
Keep your pantry and fridge stocked with essential ingredients like onions, carrots and celery, along with a collection of earthy, zesty spices and versatile, all-purpose seasonings. You’ll also need a rich and all-natural stock handy, such as Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Stock. Simmered all day with chicken, vegetables and McCormick herbs and spices, this deeply flavored stock can bring a burst of savory warmth to countless dishes. It’s low on sodium so it’s a good-for-you start to many delicious meals beyond soup, like rice, sauces, and more.
To help you embrace the colder weather, try a recipe for a hearty classic loaded with tender veggies, chicken, egg noodles and robust flavor that puts this stock – aka “liquid gold” – front and-center. Yep, you guessed it, Savory Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. Nostalgic and nourishing, all you need is 10 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes cooking on your stovetop.
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup chopped yellow onion
• 1 cup chopped carrots
• 1 cup chopped celery
• 2 tablespoons McCormick Garlic,
SLAY SWEATER WEATHER: With flavorful, healthy soup prepared in under 30 minutes.
Herb and Black Pepper and Sea Salt All Purpose Seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Turmeric
• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
• 2 cartons (32 ounces each) Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Stock
• 2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
• 1/2 cup frozen peas Instructions:
1. Heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, carrots and celery; cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in seasoning and turmeric; cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Add chicken and stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and tender.
2. Transfer chicken to medium bowl; shred using two forks. Set aside. Stir noodles into broth; cook 6 minutes or until tender. Return shredded chicken to saucepan. Gently stir in peas. Sprinkle with parsley to serve, if desired.
For more great ways to warm up this season, visit mccormick.com/kitchen-basics.
During the short days of winter, healthy soups like this will feed your body and warm your soul.