"BSO Deputies describe bloody scene at his home"


SOUTHWEST RANCHES – Broward Sheriff’s deputies responding to a domestic dispute at the Southwest Ranches home of Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall on April 23 came across a startling scene and recovered a bloody knife and gun clip, according to never before released incident reports.

Click Here To Read The Reports

The reports say deputies came across a “significant pool of blood” and a “solid trail of blood” across the floors of several rooms throughout the home. Blood was also splattered on the walls. Marshall admitted he and his wife, Michi Nogami-Marshall, had engaged in an argument that became “physical.” Even with his admission and the fact that both suffered cuts and other injuries, only the wife was arrested.

Marshall had cuts to his palms and his wrists and a stab wound to his stomach. Nogami-Marshall had bruises on her cheek and cuts on her hand and foot. She also complained of injuries to her legs.

A large bloody knife, a bloody gun clip, and a handgun were recovered from the home.

Such details were not included in the single-paragraph incident report, prepared by Det. John Lawrence, that the Sheriff’s Office has released to the public. South Florida Times has confirmed that Lawrence was the lead detective on the case but that at least nine other deputies were on the scene prior to his arrival. Each of those deputies compiled reports with graphic details of what occurred.

According to the reports, the incident began when Nogami-Marshall called 911 and said, “Please come, it’s an emergency.” When the dispatcher asked for the specific location, she repeated, “Please come, it’s an emergency,” and then the phone was hung up. BSO deputies were then dispatched to the Marshalls residence.

Deputies mobilized outside the home that afternoon and a standoff was underway until Marshall called Kevin Swanson, a BSO sergeant who was off-duty at the time, to intervene.

Swanson directed deputies not to approach the home until he arrived. Deputies complied but continued trying to reach someone inside the residence by phone and a video call box located at the front gate of the house. Sgt. Eric Caldwell arrived on the scene and learned of Swanson’s orders. After waiting “approximately about eight more minutes” and learning Swanson was coming from his home, Caldwell disregarded Swanson’s order and directed deputies to enter the yard.

As they approached the home from different directions, Caldwell peered through the glass front door and saw blood on floors and walls. The home had been the subject of previous 911 domestic violence calls, so Caldwell ordered deputies to pull back. He then called for a K-9, paramedics, and back up from tactical units.

As deputies arrived and moved into position, Swanson showed up in plainclothes driving an unmarked vehicle. He was on the phone with Marshall, who directed him and another deputy to the rear of the home and let them in.

“As I entered the residence, I observed a large white bed comforter on the foyer floor and several small spots of blood around it’s (sic) perimeter,” Sgt. Craig McCormick wrote in his report. “I observed a large quantity of blood on the white tile floor; from the kitchen area, through the front living room area to the entrance to the hall connecting the master suite.”

Other deputies and paramedics also entered the home. One deputy noted bruises on Nogami-Marshall’s cheek and other injuries. Several other deputies gave accounts about a bloody 13-inch knife and a bloody gun clip .

“In the hallway near the front door, I also observed a large kitchen knife covered with blood and a small, but loaded magazine, from an unknown firearm,” wrote Deputy Roberto Aspuru. “I also noted that although the magazine is able to hold a total of 6 rounds, there were only 5 rounds accounted for. In addition, there was blood on the magazine as well.”

Swanson asked Marshall about weapons in the house. Marshall then took Swanson to his bedroom closet and retrieved a handgun from inside a clothes drawer. The magazine clip was missing. Swanson reported there was one bullet in the gun’s chamber, which he removed before placing it into evidence.

Marshall told deputies his injuries were from a broken vase. He also said he did not want anything to happen to his wife. Paramedics treated both of them on the scene and Marshall signed a release declining to be transported to the hospital. Swanson, however, advised him that he could be forced to accept medical attention under the Baker Act, which allows for involuntary treatment, and later gave him an escort to the hospital.

“I transported Brandon from his house to the front gate of his community to meet his friend who then transported him to Broward General Medical Center,” Swanson wrote in his report. “I had the pair follow me to the hospital as his friend did not know where Broward General was or how to get there and I needed to ensure that he actually went to receive the care necessary.”

BSO officials say Swanson is not under any type of scrutiny for his actions during the incident.

“It’s a gated community so the sergeant transported him outside to meet EMS [paramedics],” BSO director of media relations Jim Leljedal said. “It isn’t something we ordinarily do but, because there was a gate that was closed, it was the most expeditious thing to do.”

However, according to the reports, paramedics arrived shortly after deputies entered the home. They treated Marshall and his wife while they were in the house. Nogami-Marshall received additional medical attention. Marshall needed more serious care and Swanson escorted the vehicle he was riding in to Broward Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale.

Nogami-Marshall was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. However, citing conflicting evidence, prosecutors with the Broward State Attorney’s Office dropped the charge on July 29.

National Football League officials declined comment on the incident when contacted by South Florida Times this week. Messages left at the Marshalls residence were not returned. Miami Dolphins officials said the issue has been resolved and any conversations they had with Marshall were “internal and private.”

“As far as we’re concerned it’s a closed matter,” said Harvey Greene, the Miami Dolphins’ senior vice president for media relations.

Prosecutors declined comment when asked if they were aware of the supplemental reports which show Marshall admitted the two were in an argument that became “physical” and that bloody weapons were taken from the scene.

“I have nothing to say about it,” state attorney spokesman Ron Ishoy said.