By ROGER CALDWELL
President-Elect Trump has a job that he applied for, but he really doesn’t want. As the oldest president to ever be elected to the office, there is nowhere to hide, as everything he says and does is recorded on security cameras. He asked for it and now he’s got it.
The job of the President of the United States will add ten years on President Trump’s life, once he is inaugurated. Since President Trump has never held a political office in his life, he will spend his first few weeks learning the job, and making mistakes. Trump has started by picking conservative nominees who have no compassion, and many of them are billionaires and millionaires.
Senate Democrats plan to attack eight nominees whose records indicate that they have made millions with the government, or they want to privatize the department, they will run. The Republicans are trying to rush these nominees through the confirmation system without disclosing personal financial information.
The primary targets include Rex Tillerson for secretary of State; Alabama Sen. Je Sessions for attorney general; South Carolina Rep. Mike Mulvaney for the Office of Management and Budget; Betsy DeVos as the new education secretary; Steve Mnuchin, the former Goldman Sachs executive or treasury secretary; Georgia GOP Rep. Tom Price for Department of Health and Human Services; Andrew Puzder for labor secretary; and Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt to run the EPA.
Democrats will try to use procedural moves to delay and extend the debate, but they cannot block the nominations. As this is going on in one front, the Republicans are trying to repeal Obamacare on another front.
Democrats have never been willing to defend Obamacare, but now the Republicans have it on the chopping block, and everyone is finding some part of it they like. The Republicans like the pre-existing conditions segment, and keeping young adults on their parents’ coverage until they are 26.
Over 60% of Americans support Obamacare right now in 2017, but the media and our leaders refuse to talk about the truth. The ACA has provided health coverage to 20 to 25 million Americans, and reduced the cost to low-income families.
It will help keep overall costs down in the future.
Blogger Kevin Drum from Mother Jones says,”And yes, Democrats are still afraid to defend it loudly and proudly. This just boggles me. Sure Obamacare has some problems. Certain regions don’t have enough competition. Deductibles are high if you buy a bronze plan. And a small part of the population has been hit by large premium increases. But this is something like 10%. The other 90% is purely positive.”
President Trump and the Republicans are getting ready to make a major mistake, when they repeal the ACA (Obamacare) and they have nothing to replace it with.
The major difference between President Obama and President-elect Trump is one had a vision and plan for the future, and the other is interested in making America rich again. Trump thinks in the past, and America can take what it wants with a strong military, but that thinking will no longer work.
Diplomacy and global respect is why President Obama’s job approval rating is at 55% and Trump’s is at 40%. There is a dark cloud over America, and something was wrong with this election from the beginning to the end. Everyone is trying to trust the system, but many of Trumps friends are gangsters, crooks, criminals, prostitutes, and thieves.
How can America be unified when our leader is not fit to be trusted or believed? Americans are still waiting for Trump’s tax returns, which makes it hard to call him my president.